EMI Evidence Management Professional Certification Training
Your role as an evidence manager makes a difference. The job you do ensures that justice is served with each piece of evidence stored in your custody. We founded the Evidence Management Institute because we are passionate about evidence and we believed that there was a different way to educate and advocate for better evidence management practices and to change the way things have been done for decades.
We know that training budgets and time are two commodities you can’t afford to waste. There are other training opportunities available, and there are two really good training questions that we want to start answering today: How are you different? AND What do you do?
The short answer is this, EMI evidence management training is unique in four areas:
– Core values
– Class experience
– Content, and
– Certification Upon Completion.
In this blog, I’d like to share some of our core values with you, starting with our mission. We exist to engineer a culture change with respect to evidence management, to ensure justice for all of the stakeholders in the process. We believe that evidence managers play a critical role in the justice system, everything we do is dedicated to supporting their role, encouraging them and helping them make their operations more sustainable, efficient and effective.
We focus on problem-solving, building solutions, and providing a strong foundation for evidence management operations.
We think differently about the chain of custody; our training is based on a 360° Chain of Custody philosophy. That chain of custody isn’t just a linear account of dates, times, people and places; it’s a comprehensive, systematic, holistic approach that focuses on both the chain and the custody.
Our class experience is also unique to the industry. In three words, our classroom experience will engage, educate and equip our participants to become better evidence managers.
Some quick examples of what sets our classroom experience apart from other training opportunities:
- Engaging and Interactive Presentation. Participants at EMI training classes will be engaged in the learning process through multiple hands-on activities and interactive classroom experience.
- Adult-Based Learning. EMI classes gear instruction for all types of learning styles.
- A Strong Foundation and Continued Education. EMI training class participants will walk away from our training class with the essential knowledge and skills required to run a successful evidence management operation, but the learning process doesn’t end on the last day of class. EMI Online provides continuing education opportunities and additional learning, always available online.
- Zero Waste. Your time is valuable, and we don’t waste a minute of it. Your training experience will be a wise investment of your time and resources.
- Content. We think our content is what really differentiates us from any other evidence management training available. We’ll expand on that piece in the next section.
The EMI Evidence Management Professional Certification Training class is simply the most current, comprehensive and cutting-edge evidence management training available. Our training is built around our systematic philosophy of a 360⁰ Chain of Custody for evidence, and we’ve worked really hard to take a mountain of information and break everything up into hills we can climb over one step at a time.
It’s a lot of information to take in, but you won’t walk away with the feeling that you’ve been drinking from a fire hose. Our curriculum is broken down into the fundamental and essential pieces you’ll need to make an impact on your organization:
- Six Essential Skills for Evidence Custodians
- Four Key Concepts in Evidence Management
- The Twelve Principles of Evidence Management
- EMI Standards and Best Practices for Evidence Management
- Evidence Law
- The Nine Universal Evidence Management Processes
- The Eight Unique Evidence Management Processes.
We will continue to flesh the curriculum out in our blog, our website and through social media to give you better insight into what you’ll be learning in class.
Certification Upon Completion
We provide certification for the training we provide immediately upon completion of the training class. Requiring our participants to spend years in a job before they’re eligible for certification just doesn’t make sense to us. You can spend a lifetime doing something wrong, or you can learn to do it correctly the first time. When we certify you, we can attest to the training you’ve been provided, and your mastery or knowledge of the content. That’s much easier to accomplish immediately after the training experience.
That’s usually the way certification works in any industry. Unless there’s a direct mentorship or apprentice element to a certification process, then certification after completing your training makes the most sense. When police officers finish the academy and pass the test, they’re certified. When a sixteen-year-old kid finishes driver education and passes the test, they get a license. That’s just the way it usually works.
No Substitute for Experience
The best way to experience the difference is to attend a class. We will continue to post new information about our training and about our curriculum, but there’s no substitute for being there first hand. We would like to welcome you to any of our training classes, from San Francisco to Maine and almost everywhere in between. Registration is open.